My Duty to You

As your marriage celebrant, it is my job to make sure all the legal bits and pieces are in order.

Who are you? I will need to sight original Birth Certificates, or if you were born overseas, a current passport will suffice. I also need to sight current Drivers Licenses, or photo ID. If you have already been married, I need to see proof of dissolution of marriage or a Death Certificate. Now that I know who you are, how old you are and your marital status, I will need you to lodge a Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM). This is a document I can provide for you or you can download. Signatures on the NOIM need to be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace. I am a JP (Qual).

The NOIM must be completed and lodged with me a minimum of one month before the ceremony. For example, if you give the completed and witnessed notice to me on January 1, you can get married on February 2. The NOIM can be held for up to 18 months from the date I receive it. If you need to be married within that one month, I can help with information and the process with that.

Where can I get my birth certificate?

As I need to sight original Birth Certificates, the following sites will give you the information on how to apply. Waiting times vary, as do fees, so don’t leave it to the last minute to apply.

Births, Deaths and Marriages, Queensland
Births, Deaths and Marriages, New South Wales
Births, Deaths and Marriages, Victoria
Births, Deaths and Marriages, ACT
Births, Deaths and Marriages, South Australia
Births, Deaths and Marriages, Western Australia
Births, Deaths and Marriages, Northern Territory
Births, Deaths and Marriages, Tasmania